Wednesday 30 July 2014

Banana Buns | Fairy's Tales

Today I am: 32 Weeks



I thought I'd do a bit of a different post today. I haven't always got something pregnancy related to update you all on and I do have other interests. When I created the blog I didn't even know I was pregnant and I was just going to blog my stories of moving to a new city; obviously when I found out I was pregnant I thought it would also be a good place to share those stories too but I never intended for it to be purely bump related!

I love baking, and whilst in Brighton for my birthday weekend we went into a little homeware shop that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of...Burt's possibly?! It had loads of gorgeous homewear bits and they were all reasonably priced! I've been looking at buying a bun tray for a good while but every one that I've seen is close to a tenner which is just ridiculous! I managed to get one in Brighton for £3.99 - bargain. I also got 100 bun cases for £1.99 and a tin to keep them all fresh in; so I was looking for a reason to get my bake on! I couldn't let them sit in the cupboard getting dusty.

I love Banana cake, it's one of my favourite cakes that my mum makes and what with the weather being so warm it's getting harder and harder to keep bananas fresh. They're ripening much too quickly so what better way to eat them? In cake, of course! 

I use an app called "Cook" which is a free app where you can upload your own recipes either privately or share them publically with other Cook users. You can find anything on there, simply by downloading the "recipe books" by catergory eg: British, Baking, Desserts, or you can search for a specific ingredient or recipe. It's a great tool to use although some of the recipes you would need to convert measurements or temperatures but that's nothing a quick google search can't do!

Banana cakes aren't difficult to make, it's just a basic sponge mixture with a few over ripe bananas chucked in but I always like to follow some sort of receipe to make sure the measures are going to work! Here's the recipe I used for my buns.


I intened on making a toffee buttercream icing to go on top but I couldn't find any toffee sauce in Lidl which was annoying. I did however add a bunch of white and milk chocolate chips to half of the mixture for a bit of added je ne sai quoi! It says that this recipe is enough for 12, but I had a lot of mixturre left over so after the first 12 came out of the oven (the tray only holds 12 cases) I popped an extra 4 in! So I'm left with 8 plain banana and 8 chocolate chips! My OCD for even numbers is very happy with that!

The only thing left to do now is wait for the fiancée to come home and tuck in! Oh and the dreaded dishes of course!

What are your favourite cakes to bake? Leave me a comment and let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment